Handbook of Operating Procedures 4-9994
Policies Regarding Courtesy Cars - Intercollegiate Athletics for Men and Women
The University of Texas at Austin
Executive Sponsor: Intercollegiate Athletics Director
June 1, 1992
Consistent with the provisions of the Regents' Rules and Regulations, the acceptance and assignment of the use of dealer donated courtesy cars that represent additional compensation to employees must be formally approved by the President, U.T. System Administration and the U.T. System Board of Regents as follows:
- The Director of Athletics may designate one or more staff members who shall be responsible for soliciting dealer courtesy cars for the use of athletic department personnel. The staff member(s) designated shall also be responsible for preparing all documents related to The University's acceptance of the gift. Acceptance of a gift of the use of vehicles will follow standard U.T. System gift approval and acceptance practices.
- The Director of Athletics shall recommend, for approval of the President, the assignment of courtesy cars to employees based on the Director's assessment of the need to benefit personnel in such a manner as to best advance the interest of the Intercollegiate Athletics program. A list of individuals assigned courtesy cars shall be submitted by the President's Office to the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for review and administrative approval prior to inclusion in the institutional docket each year, using the format attached.
- The Director's designee shall be responsible for informing each employee to whom a courtesy car is assigned of applicable use policies; maintenance procedures; insurance coverage, insurance claim procedures; tax liability; policies involving fuel and maintenance; and other procedures as may be be developed from time to time.
- Each employee assigned the use of a courtesy car shall be informed that the assignment and use of a car is subject to availability and that the vehicle is intended primarily for use in the conduct of University business.
- Each employee assigned the use of a courtesy car shall be responsible for providing monthly vehicle use reports to the Athletics Business Manager. The Athletics Business Manager will calculate the value of the personal use of the vehicle using the "annual lease value" method and report this amount to The University's payroll office where such amount will be added to the employee's monthly gross taxable income.
- The Director of Athletics, with the approval of the Athletics Council and President, may establish athletic event ticket privileges and seating priority or other benefits for dealerships that donate courtesy cars.
Previously HOP 7.27