Handbook of Operating Procedures 2-1040
Standing Committees of the General Faculty
The University of Texas at Austin
Executive Sponsor: Executive Vice President and Provost
June 12, 2012
Composition and Function
- The composition and function of each standing committee shall be established by the Faculty Council and approved by the President within the following categories:
- Type A: Faculty Affairs (no student members)
- Type B: Student Services and Activities (substantial student representation, but less than a majority)
- Type C: Institutional Policy and Governance (at least two student members)
- Information regarding the composition and function of each standing committee is given in Policy Memoranda 2-1050-PM,2-1060-PM and 2-1070-PM.
- The President, Graduate Assembly, Deans Council, Students' Association, Senate of College Councils, and Graduate Student Assembly may refer any matter to an appropriate committee, or to a college or school faculty or administrator, for consideration.
- Unless otherwise specified in Policy Memoranda 2-1050-PM, 2-1060-PM or 2-1070-PM, faculty and administrative staff members of standing committees shall be appointed by the President from panels of names submitted by the Faculty Committee on Committees and by the Staff Council, respectively. All panels shall include at least two names more than required to make initial appointments and deemed necessary to fill any subsequent vacancies. Unless otherwise specified in Policy Memoranda 2-1050-PM, 2-1060-PM or 2-1070-PM, staff appointments shall be for two-year staggered terms, commencing on the first class day of the fall semester. Terms of office for faculty members of standing committees shall be three years, commencing on the first class day of the fall semester, with one-third of the faculty membership appointed or elected each year. Faculty members are eligible for immediate reappointment or re-election to a new term of service, unless they have just served six or more consecutive years, in which case they must be off the committee for at least one year before serving on the committee again. Each General Faculty Standing Committee shall elect a chair elect or vice chair at the beginning of the fall semester. If the committee opts for a vice chair, then the chair elect shall be elected in the spring semester. The chair elect shall be elected no later than the last Friday in February. Faculty members of the committee whose terms of service extend through the following year or who are eligible for reappointment to the committee are eligible to be elected as Chair Elect. A Chair Elect whose term of service does not extend through the following academic year shall be reappointed for an additional year. A faculty member shall serve no more than three consecutive years as chair on committees with three-year terms. A faculty member shall serve no more than five consecutive years as chair on committees with five-year terms. Individuals on phased retirement or modified service shall not be eligible to serve on standing committees when the membership is elected.
- Except as provided in Policy Memorandum 2-1070-PM, all standing committee members from the student body shall be appointed by the President from panels of names submitted by the appropriate student committee. If any student panels have not been submitted to the President by October 1, then the Dean of Students after consultation with student leaders shall supply the needed list or lists of names. All panels shall include at least two names more than required to make initial appointments and considered necessary to fill any subsequent vacancies.
- Appropriate administrative officers, whether or not members of the General Faculty, shall be designated as administrative advisers to standing committees. Administrative advisers shall not have vote.
- The President shall serve as an ex officio member of all standing committees. In addition, the Regents' Rules and Regulations may specify other administrative officials to serve as voting members of specific committees.
- The standing committees of the General Faculty, except the General Faculty Rules and Governance Committee, shall be responsible to the Faculty Council and any changes in the list of standing committees shall originate in the Council. A report from each committee shall be submitted to the Faculty Council through the Secretary by April 1, with a copy to the President and the Chair of the Faculty Committee on Committees. In addition, each committee shall keep the Faculty Council informed of its on-going activities by including the Office of the Faculty Council on the mailing list the committee uses to send meeting notices and reports. These documents will be made available for examination by members of the Faculty Council.
- The General Faculty Rules and Governance Committee shall be responsible to the General Faculty.
Previously HOP 1.4