Handbook of Operating Procedures 5-2210
I. Policy Statement
The University of Texas at Austin (“University”) defines continuous employment in this policy.
II. Reason for Policy
This policy sets out employment conditions that will determine whether an employee has a break in service, which is important for certain employee benefits.
III. Scope & Audience
This policy applies to all employees.
IV. Definitions (specific to this policy)
V. Website (for policy)
VII. Responsibilities & Procedures
- The following conditions will not constitute a break in employment:
- Termination followed, without loss of payroll time, by immediate reappointment.
- Termination to enter military service followed by reappointment within 90 days after honorable discharge or release from military service.
- Transfer of employee, without loss of payroll time, within The University of Texas System or from another State agency.
- Leave without pay.
- A weekend or a holiday.
- The following conditions will constitute a break in employment:
- Termination followed by a loss of payroll time before reappointment.
- Termination to enter military service and failure to be reappointed within 90 days of honorable discharge or release from military service.
- Transfer of employee between component institutions of The University of Texas System, other state-supported colleges or universities, or other state departments with loss of payroll time between resignation and reappointment.
VIII. Form & Tools
Last review date: November 1989
Previously HOP 9.76