Handbook of Operating Procedures 5-4130
The University of Texas at Austin
Executive Sponsor: Vice President for University Operations
July 30, 2003
- Policy Statement
The University of Texas at Austin provides paid administrative leave in accordance with state law.
This policy applies to any employee who is appointed to work at least twenty (20) hours per week for a period of at least four and one-half (4 1/2) continuous months. For purposes of this policy, faculty must be appointed for at least fifty percent (50%) time for at least four and one-half (4 1/2) continuous months. Students employed in positions that require student status as a condition of employment are not covered by this policy.
- Qualified Purposes
- Death in the Employee's Family. With supervisory approval, an employee shall be granted up to three (3) days of leave in the event of a death in the employee's family.
Employee's family is defined as the employee's spouse, the employee's and the spouse's parents, children, brothers, sisters, grandparents, and grandchildren and an employee's daughters-in-law and sons-in-law.
Funeral of a Coworker. With supervisory approval, an employee shall be granted up to four hours of leave to attend the funeral of a coworker.
Coworker is defined as a person who was an active employee of The University of Texas at Austin at the time of death.
- Natural Disasters. The President of the University may grant paid leave for natural disasters, such as hurricanes and tornadoes.
- Emergency Closures. The University may grant paid leave for emergency closures of campus facilities or operations.
- Employee Responsibilities
Except for emergency closures, the employee or the employee's representative must submit a written request for emergency leave to the department head. Requests shall specify the reason and length of time required. The employee shall obtain approval for emergency leave and promptly and accurately record the use of leave.
- Supervisor and Department Head Responsibility
- Supervisor. The supervisor must approve requests for leave due to a death in an employee's family or attendance of a coworker's funeral, verify that the employee has accurately recorded emergency leave use, and sign the time report.
- Department Head. For leave requests due to natural disasters, the department head shall transmit the requests to the President through the appropriate vice president with a recommendation.
- Delegation of Authority
Authority is hereby delegated to the department head or designee to determine emergency leave eligibility due to a death in an employee's family or attendance of a coworker's funeral and approve use of leave.
For Assistance: Questions regarding emergency leave should be directed to Human Resource Services, Benefit Services Section, or to the web site: http://www.utexas.edu/hr/.
Electronic time sheet web site: https://utdirect.utexas.edu/pntime.
Source: Texas Government Code 661.902;
Previously HOP 7.F.3