Handbook of Operating Procedures 8-1030
Manufacture, Sale, Possession, Distribution, or Use of Alcohol or Illegal Drugs
The University of Texas at Austin
Executive Sponsor: Vice President for University Operations
September 1, 1989
I. Purpose: The purpose of this statement is to establish policy for employees of The University of Texas at Austin concerning manufacture, sale, possession, distribution, or use of alcohol or illegal drugs:
- during working hours;
- in a manner while off duty that impairs on-duty work performance;
- in a manner while in attendance at an official University function or at an authorized University site that adversely affects the performance of the employee or may adversely affect the health or safety of any other person.
- An employee who violates the following policy may be subject to disciplinary action, including termination.
- At the discretion of the University the employee may be referred to an assistance program and/or may be required to participate in and satisfactorily complete a chemical abuse rehabilitation program as a condition of continued employment.
- Unauthorized purchase, manufacture, distribution, possession, sale, storage or use of an illegal drug or controlled substance while on duty, while in or on premises or property owned or controlled by the University, or while in vehicles used for University business are prohibited.
- The unauthorized use or possession of alcohol while on duty or while in vehicles used for University business is prohibited.
- Use of alcohol or an illegal drug or controlled substance while not on duty which adversely affects job performance or may adversely affect the health or safety of other employees, students, visitors, or patients is prohibited.
- Use of alcohol at an authorized University function, in the course of official University business, or at an authorized University site which adversely affects job performance or may adversely affect the health or safety of any other person is prohibited.
- Warnings about prescribed or over-the-counter medication and its impact on work performance or on individual or job safety must be heeded by the employee. A supervisor's advice and assistance may be necessary when job adjustments are required to ensure an employee's ability to perform assigned work in a safe manner because of use of such medications.
- Distribution to others of a drug or controlled substance obtained pursuant to a prescription, except by duly licensed and certified persons, while on duty or while in or on premises or property controlled by the University is prohibited.
- Employees who use illegal drugs or abuse controlled substances or alcohol are encouraged to seek help from available resources.
Previously HOP 9.89