Handbook of Operating Procedures 5-4440
Volunteer Emergency Responder Leave
The University of Texas at Austin
Executive Sponsor: Vice President for University Operations
November 1, 2001
The University of Texas at Austin provides paid administrative leave to an employee who is a volunteer firefighter, certified American Red Cross disaster service volunteer, or certified American Red Cross disaster service volunteer trainee in accordance with state law.
This policy applies to all employees except for students employed in positions that require student status as a condition of employment.
Fire Service Training. Eligible employees are entitled to volunteer emergency responder leave no to exceed five (5) working days each fiscal year to attend fire service training conducted by state agencies or higher education institutions.
- Responding to Emergency Fires. Eligible employees may be granted up to ten (10) working days of emergency responder leave each fiscal year to respond to emergency fire situations.
- American Red Cross Volunteer or Volunteer Trainee. Eligible employees may be granted volunteer emergency responder leave not to exceed ten (10) working days each fiscal year to participate in specialized disaster relief services if the leave is taken:
- On the request of the American Red Cross,
- With the authorization of the employee's supervisor and
- With the approval of the Governor.
- Employee Responsibilities
The employee shall provide the supervisor with documentation of training at least two (2) weeks in advance of the training.
In the event of an emergency response, the employee or the employee's representative shall notify the supervisor as soon as possible, but no later than twenty-four (24) hours from the beginning of the emergency. Upon return to work from an emergency response, the employee shall provide official documentation of service.
The employee shall report to work the next workday following the end of training or the emergency response. The employee shall promptly and accurately record the use of leave.
- Supervisor Responsibilities
The supervisor must review and approve the leave, verify that the employee has accurately recorded the leave, and sign the time report.
- Delegation of Authority
Authority is hereby delegated to the department head or designee to determine volunteer emergency responder leave eligibility and approve use of leave.
For Assistance: Questions regarding volunteer emergency responder leave should be directed to Human Resources, Benefits Services Section, or to the website: http://www.utexas.edu/hr/.
Electronic time sheet website: https://utdirect.utexas.edu/pntime.
Source: Texas Government Code 661.905 and 661.907